Saturday, July 29, 2006

Painting...and a deja vu on the threshold

The kitchen is already looking brighter, ecen though I have only about half the painting done. It's take the better part of two days largely because that green color is nearly impossible to cover in less than three coats (one primer and two paint or vice-versa, doesn't matter). I'm using a "high-hiding" primer supposedly for covering dark colors. I saw no difference. I'm goting to have to but more primer tomorrow and I'm getting the best available, no mater what it costs. This is taking too long and too much effort and there's a lot more to do.

The threshhold is almost done, some trim work remaining. Doing that in the 96-degree 104 heat index conditions yesterday was a blast. I sweat through four t-shirts. Curious development: When I was trying to fingure out where to cut the subfloor to patch in a new piece, I noticed a seam and followed it. THIS has happened before! I found new 'sister' joists and patched in wood. They repaired the damage but left the root problem, which I may do as well. The people living there should install gutters, but hopefully we won't own the house long enough for that to happen again!

1 Comments:

At 7/30/2006 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Rick said...

The A/C is a gray area. I think it will need to be repaired at some point. It works in the kitchen, not in the living room, okay in the master, but upstairs is hot. I'm almost certain a duct or two is down or ruptured.

If I get everything else done by September 1 andwe put it on the market, it can still be pretty hot here in Septermber, so showings will be a problem. It may be a problem for me over the next week, since the forecast is for extreme heat. If I get to the upstairs this week, I may have to drag a room unit over from here.

I see three options:
1. I crawl around in the muck to see if in can find
it. Not my first choice, since my knees are already
swelling from this past week's work and there may be
creatures in there. The water heater is bad enough
and that's only ten feet from the door.
2. Hire an HVAC pro to diagnose and fix, which will
likely run several hundred dollars. Time might be a
problem because those guys are likely swamped right
now.
3. Hire Karen's son to crawl around and attempt to
diagnose. WIll likely cost less, but less certain
results.

I can get by for now, but this might be something
we'll have to fix anyway.

BTW, I turn the A/C and the water off when I leave at
night. There are two known water leaks and the A/C
costs money!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home